Friday, May 7, 2010

Returning to the Hundred Acre Wood

As I step back into the familiar woods, I am immediately humbled by the beauty of friendship and the simplicity of laughter, life, and honey. I have been a fan of A.A. Milne since I was a little girl and as an adult I admire his work and his wise, witty lessons. His simple characters come to life and bring joy to your heart the minute you begin to read. Winnie-the-Pooh fills me with whimsy, joy, and plenty of giggles. The House at Pooh Corner pulls your heart strings as you witness the kindness of others and say good-bye to the dearest of all boys, Christopher Robin (a nickname my sister has called me since she was a little girl).

As I opened Return to the Hundred Acre Wood by David Benedictus, I was skeptical. Authors have continued the legacy of other writers for years......L. Frank Baum, Jane Austen, and Bram Stoker to name a few. I admire these writers who take on the task of proceeding with a work of art composed by another. I am always skeptical. But David Benedictus was a poet, a master....a writer. He continued the legacy of A.A. Milne with dignity, mastery, and poise. Who am I to judge? I am nothing but a humble admirer of a bear full of stuff-and-fluff.....a donkey with an attitude, and a genius owl who can't spell O-W-L!!! If you have never been to the Hundred Acre Woods, go there! Open the book and laugh with your children. Walk through the forest and listen for bees, jump over a babbling brook, and hunt for Woozles. You will not want to come home....but you will be so very satisfied when you leave!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad to see you back here. I can remember reading Winnie the Pooh to Natalie when she was very little. It was our first chapter book! I had to pause many times while reading to her because I would be overcome by the sweetness of the words and the fact that I was reading a childhood favorite to my own sweet child. I miss you Chrissy! Can't wait to see all you blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It sounds as if it was something posted on the back of the book, for others to counsel before purchase :) Very good grl! ;)

    ReplyDelete